Friday, October 21, 2011

Still Here, Still Alive, Still Want To Be Here

I've realized I haven't updated in about two weeks, sorry for that.  I'm all set up at my new place.  Getting internet was probably the most aggravating thing I've had to do to this point.  The first time I went to 3bb (best internet provider in Thailand) and they told me I couldn't get it in my building.  I said "well I have 3 friends that live in my building and they all have 3bb".  She says "no, 40 people maximum".  Arguing in Thai/English is pretty complex so I left only to return 3 days later.  Luckily someone spoke very good in both languages and I was able to resolve the situation.  You'd think that would be it, but I had to wait 3 days, make over 10 phone calls and visit the front desk of my building twice before I finally had internet.

As far as the language barrier, my Thai is much improved.  However, people talk quite fast here and I usually have no idea what anyone is saying.  It will probably take a few more months before I can have conversations with people other than: my name, where i'm from, where i live, what i did today, what i ate today, how it tasted, and other basic things.

I went on another scooter ride recently which was a lot of fun.  We stopped by a scenic spot that had a lot of flower gardens and greenhouses.  I posted all the pictures I had on Facebook, but my camera ended up dying shortly upon arrival so I wasn't able to capture all of the beauty surrounding me.  It was a big fail on my part for not realizing my camera was on low battery before departure.

I don't have too many plans forthcoming.  I'd like to travel around other places, but there's this thing called money that kind of limits what I do.  For now the plan is to stay in Chiang Mai until at least January (probably more like March or April) and see where I'm at financially.

I think being on my own in an entirely new environment has been really good for me as a person.  It's been quite the experience.  I think even if I come home penniless and live under a bridge I'll look back and not regret my decision. Anyone who was in a similar situation as me (single, so so job, no debt), I strongly encourage to go and try something like this.   I actually regret waiting until I was 25 to pull the trigger.  Anyways, I'll stop with the motivational speech before it begins and conclude this blog.

I don't have any new photos to share this time around so my apologies for that.  I will do my best to take more in the future.  I miss all my friends and family from back home, and I hope you are all doing well.  Have a wonderful weekend everyone and stay classy (quote from Anchorman for those who don't know).

No comments:

Post a Comment