Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Farewell

Well, a few lines of that song apply.  I'm leaving, not sure when I'll be back, bags are packed blah blah.  I'll miss a lot of things about the U.S. and A.  Most of all will be friends and family, but I think overall this was a solid life decision.  Also, time goes by quick, and I'll be back eventually.

I set off for the airport tomorrow circa 8am.  I have 2 checked bags, a carry-on, and my laptop.  I've devised a pretty good strategy on how to carry them all at once.  My phone (well more of a ipod touch now since it has no service) is loaded up with movies, music, and games for the plane ride.  I get my own monitor on the plane loaded with other entertainment, as well as a usb port so I can charge my devices.  So it sounds like my plane ride shouldn't be too bad.

I land Thursday night at 10:20pm Thailand time.  I imagine by the time I get back to my friend's apartment, I will just want to crash and go to sleep.  Friday, I have to figure out cell phone, bank account, school, locations of places etc.  I also have to go apartment hunting, and hope to find a place within two weeks.  It looks like I'll be pretty busy for a while.

After all the travel madness is settled, I don't have any firm plans of what to do.  I have language classes twice a week for three hours.  Other than that I'm going to do a lot of exploring and networking.  I think I'll be in Thailand from 3 months to a year, but that's not really set in stone.  If I like it a lot, I might stay longer.  My goal is to get enough money to come back for 3-4 weeks next summer.  However, I might be back in a month if I absolutely hate it (can't imagine that happening).

My next destination is also undetermined.  I don't really want to start planning anything until I know I can do it.  Otherwise, I just get really excited for something, and it might fall through and disappointment creeps in.  Honestly, I had so much stress getting ready for this trip, I don't even want to think about doing paperwork for somewhere new.

Once I settle in a little bit, I will post some pictures of my new place etc.  This blog might actually become about something interesting, rather than a guy talking about something interesting happening in the future.  If you've read this far, thanks.  I will update again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment