Saturday, July 7, 2012

Back To Blogging/Isarn Trip w/ Pics

Hi, it's been a while.  This will actually be my first written blog in a long time.  I've been able to type for a while, but haven't done too much new.  I think doing video blogs about which tv shows I was watching were starting to get old (i'm on Soprano's now, in case you were interested).  Anyways, I'm back in blogville, and will try to do something exciting once in a while so I have something to write about.

A little over a week ago I went to Isarn.  I stayed in a little town called Phon Thong which is near Roi Et (which is near pretty much nowhere).  The town I was staying in was fairly small.  It had a handful of restaurants, a couple banks, repair shops, and a 7/11.  I went to a village nearby and learned about rice farming among other things.  The people were very friendly and welcoming.  

getting on the bus from Chiang Mai, 14hrs
just relaxing on a hammock
 some rice fields, lil shelter to the right
 driving back from the village, lil doggy chilling on the sidecar
they use this machine for fishing, not sure exactly how it works, but i guess it makes the fish come up and then they grab it and throw it in a net
 little eel or worm looking thing that was caught while i was watching.  yes they eat this stuff, saw piles of them at the local market among other fish i didn't try.

It was a neat experience, very different from the city life or even the short time I saw the island life.  It seemed very slow paced and relaxing.... then again that's because I didn't have to do any farming :p.  I never knew what day it was, what time it was, and never seemed to care.  Although I experience that a little bit in Chiang Mai, i occasionally still think about it.

I get my pin taken out in 1 week.  I don't have any immediate plans other than that.  I will likely go for a ride in the mountains soon because I really miss doing that.  I will wear a helmet and drive safe, so don't worry ;)

2 comments:

  1. Dude, I thought I lost ya! Wow so you can speak rice paddy now. I didn't have that down in my list of predictions. You must be still losing weight. There is something wrong with a hammock you can fit in your back pocket. They would love to see a photo of me in that net. It would look like the big kahuna fish.
    For what it's worth ... I sorta figured all Italians had to watch T in the sopranos so I did have that in my list of predictions.
    Be safe. Be good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been taking "rice paddy" language classes since I got here. I can get around ok and have an introductory conversation, but not much more than that. I've been meaning to blog more, just one of those things I keep putting off and I go live life instead ;)

    ReplyDelete