Friday, December 16, 2011

Three Months

In a couple days I'll have been in Thailand for 3 months.  In some ways it feels like I've just arrived, and in others it seems much longer.  I went to Immigration yesterday to extend my stay for another 90 days.  It looks like I'll be here til at least March.  By then money could be running low, and Chicago will be warming up.  I still haven't decided how long I'll stay, but I'll probably have a better idea in March.

I really miss some of the food back home.  Pizza, steak, burgers, Italian beef, ribs, are all pretty average here if they're available at all.  Since that was 90% of my diet back home, it's been quite an adjustment.  Some of my go to candies aren't available here either.  Sweettarts, Bottlecaps, pretzel M&M's, and caramel chocolate bars I haven't been able to find anywhere.  I think I've lost about 5 pounds without trying though, so I guess it's not all bad.

I've been trying to speak Thai more and more.  I've realized I'm pretty terrible at it though, and am probably better off sticking with English and pointing/gesturing at things.  Today I ordered pork fried rice, but they gave me shrimp instead.  Pork and shrimp sound very different in Thai, so I'm not sure how I/they messed that up.  I'm still going to lessons twice/week (when I'm not sleeping in), and I'm sure it will get better.

I'm planning a trip to the islands in late January.  It sounds like Phuket, Railay, and Phi Phi are on the agenda.  I haven't done much traveling since coming here, so it will be nice to branch out a bit.  All those places have beaches and beautiful landscapes, so I'll be sure to take lots of pics.  I will eventually visit Bangkok, but I can always do that on my flight back home, since most of the time it's cheaper to fly out of there.

That's about it I guess.  Christmas is one week away and it will be a little weird being away from family, friends, and snow.  Happy Holidays everyone!

4 comments:

  1. Your presence is missed on the courts... Merry Christmas.
    - The Banford Ballin Assoc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thx ken! I miss ballin out at Banford, I haven't been able to find a game here either :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is bout as long as i have gone without a robby D fix in? well i dont even know how long, but some robbyD some tommys and a bulls game sure sounds good right now,...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ramon, that sounds amazing. That will be right at the top of the list of things to do when I come back. I bought an NBATV pass thing so I can watch all the games... won't be the same as going/watching with you though :(

    ReplyDelete